[TriLUG] Fault-tolerant FS for battery-operated Linux

Eric Blau via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Mar 31 17:33:15 EDT 2016

Hi Brian,

I've had good luck using ext4 with the "data=journal" and "commit=X" mount
options where X is the number of seconds you want before data is synced to
disk. This can hurt performance, but I've found that it works well for
preventing corruption after a hard power down.

My use case was a robot for FIRST Robotics
<http://www.firstinspires.org/> using
NVIDIA Jetson TK1 and TX1 boards. Both boards use ARM CPUs. We record video
from our robot and save it to an SSD drive.

Before using ext4 with these options, we were using NTFS. The robot
abruptly powers off at the end of a match. Our video files were getting
corrupted to the point where the directory entries showed ????? and could
not be recovered by any of the tools we tried. When we switched to ext4
with the aforementioned options, this no longer occurs.

Good luck!
-Eric

On Thu, Mar 31, 2016 at 4:42 PM, Brian Henning via TriLUG <trilug at trilug.org