[TriLUG] RARSfest - Linux and Radio

Jeremy Davis via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Fri Apr 1 22:55:37 EDT 2016

TriLUG,

Hey folks, a quick RARSfest plug here. http://www.rars.org/rarsfest/

I can't go myself due to work, however, I know this is a great learning and
networking opportunity for TriLUG members. You will find members there from
Splatspace, TriEmbed, IEEE guys (e.g. Robotics & Automation aka "TAR"), and
a few from TriLUG too I am sure.

There are some really cool things that can be done with Linux and Radio. I
will use NC Near Space as an inspirational example. They launch weather
balloons into near space with a payload that has a Raspberry Pi running
Linux and controlling cameras and sensors etc.. They use Ham Radio for
broadcasting the flight path coordinates. I highly recommend watching a few
videos at http://www.ncnearspace.org/

Another excellent reference, Kevin Otte did an awesome TriLUG lightning
talk on radio and Linux:

To see Kevin's TriLUG lightning talk, follow the Youtube link below and
fast forward to "1:18:20"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTfw3useXro&feature=youtu.be

I am sure that Linux and Radio skills are going to be in high demand with
the growing popularity of drones and the Internet of Things.

I propose this time next year we host a talk on Linux and Radio to spark
interest and involvement with RARSfest and the other groups.

If you attend RARSfest, report back and share your RARSfest experience with
the list. If anyone else has anything to add, please do.
http://www.rars.org/rarsfest/

Jeremy Davis
TriLUG PR