[TriLUG] Tablet Recommendations

Matt Flyer via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Mon May 2 14:04:50 EDT 2016

I sent the link to my parents.  I was surprised to see "bloatware" listed
as a minus on the Samsung devices and found that to be unfortunate.  I've
been rather happy with the two Samsung phones (Galaxy S4 and now an S6)
but they do have a lot of bloat applications.  For that reason, I was
leaning towards their Tab S2.  In part I figured that this was with any
carrier provided OS and to get rid of it I would need to root the phone
and put something like Cyanogenmod on it.  Didn't really expect that with
a tablet.

I think that they are looking mostly for something to play games and run
apps on rather than real productivity.  I, myself, like the idea of the
Ubuntu device, but I agree that it would be an unnecessary frustration for
a non savvy user.