[TriLUG] Linux - Which CAD program(s)?

Brian Henning via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Mon Jun 27 09:56:32 EDT 2016

FreeCAD is still pre-version-1.0, but it's already very capable (with some important exceptions*).  I use it a great deal for designing parts for 3D printing.

That said, I have not done much in the way of modifying STL files with it.  I know it's possible, but (as you may know) STLs are plain meshes, so you won't have any of the original construction information.  I don't know how handy FreeCAD is with editing plain meshes.

That said, you may want to check out Blender.  I have used Blender for STL mesh editing to great effect (I mean, it's a mesh editor!).  The learning curve for the UI is a bit steep, but there are very good tutorials available, and once you get the hang of it, you can be very efficient.

Carl, what's the approximate volume of your object and what are your material/color requirements?  If your object is FDM-printable and if I have materials that meet your needs, I might be willing to undercut wherever you were going to send it.. :-)

-B

* - FreeCAD's assembly features are sadly still in the early planning phases, so you'll have to do without kinematic modeling and exploded diagrams.