[TriLUG] ReCaptcha ( mobile ) issues

Brian McCullough via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Wed Jul 20 08:29:27 EDT 2016

Folks,

Up until now, I have been asking in more specialized locations such as
the Google ReCaptcha Group, for assistance with this problem, but,
apparently, NOBODY, or nobody who is reading that group, has ever
encountered, and solved, my problem.

I am working on a web site where we had Captcha installed and working
for some time, years.  Then Google changed how it was called and used,
and it broke.

A while ago, I went through the code and upgraded it to fit the new
version of the Google ReCaptcha code, and, on "desktop-class" machines
and browsers, it works well.

HOWEVER, on many mobile devices and browsers, at first it appeared to be
iPhones rather than Android devices, but now I have been able to
reproduce this issue on those, too, the ReCaptcha process fails rather
significantly.

What happens is that the little box with the check box and the "I am not
a robot" appears correctly.  However, when you click on the check box, a
white wash appears over the screen, and you are completely stuck.
Nothing seems to work except closing that page.

We think that there is something wrong with either the CSS or Javascript
interpretation, but, since almost all of that is controlled by Google,
we don't know how to fix the problem and make this usable.

Has anybody encountered this, and do you have any suggestions for making
iPhones and the like work with this "tool?"

Thank you,
Brian