[TriLUG] ReCaptcha ( mobile ) issues

Brian McCullough via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Wed Jul 20 13:55:09 EDT 2016

On Wed, Jul 20, 2016 at 08:38:57AM -0400, Triangle Linux Users Group discussion list wrote:
> On 07/20/2016 08:29 AM, Brian McCullough via TriLUG wrote:
> > I am working on a web site where we had Captcha installed and
> > working for some time, years.  Then Google changed how it was called
> > and used, and it broke.
>
> Forgive me for asking but: do you really get a lot of bots on your
> website? Is it maybe an option to get rid of the captcha altogether?

I agree, a perfectly reasonable question, and I could counter with a
different option.  I could try and determine which browser was coming in
and disable the ReCaptcha just for the browsers that matter.

As it happens, it was disabled completely for a year or more, between
the time that Google changed their API and the time that I "fixed" the
code.

However, the client has concerns about their Contact page and a page
where users can send each other e-mail messages.

So, the answer is, to a large extent, yes, we do need ReCaptcha, within
a certain range of "need."

Brian