[TriLUG] ReCaptcha ( mobile ) issues

Jeremy Davis via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Wed Jul 20 14:57:15 EDT 2016

Brian,

We had a remotely similar problem with trilug.org links that pointed to the
the trilug wiki. Although it was not a recaptcha. It was a requirement to
log in with username and password to prevent spam, however the username and
password were provided in the popup message.

The pop up had a message with instructions to enter TRI as the user and LUG
as the password.

Chrome users could not see the instructions and we began receiving emails
about it from TriLUG members. I think it did the whitewash thing as well.

The workaround was to direct the users to a webpage with instructions
written in text or basic HTML (no javascript). A link to the wiki was
placed at the bottom of the instructions.

This seems to work for now although a bot may be smart enough to scrape the
page and log in. I thought about putting a picture of the instructions but
thought that may create a bad user experience if the picture does not
display for some reason. For example, some TriLUGers may use a command line
browser or browse with images turned off in their browser settings.

Something like this might work for the chrome browsers that use your site.

Jeremy Davis

Jeremy Davis
@jeremydavis0_0
www.linkedin.com/in/jeremydavisprofile/