[TriLUG] Weird WiFi router behavior

David Both via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Mon Jul 25 07:31:11 EDT 2016

Sorry it took so long to reply. Backup drive failures and updates, among
other things, have kept me busy.

See responses in-line.

On 07/21/2016 06:41 PM, William Sutton via TriLUG wrote:
> I'm wondering
> 1. what wireless protocols your old and new APs support (A?  B? G?  N?)
Old: ABG
New: BGN

> 2. same for the devices that did and didn't work
The Apple devices both support B and G, while only the iPad supports N.
The iPhone is really old 3GS and has not had updates for a couple years
at least.
The Androids both support BGN
> 3. any security settings (key length, whatever)
Standard WEP on both with a similar SSID and a fair 12-char password for
the non-guest access and an 8 char password for guest access. The old
router does not have guest access, but I only use regular access for our
own devices, both Apple and 'droid.

> sounds like Apple made an update that wasn't compatible with older
> hardware.
I thought about this, but neither device had been updated in the weeks
before or after the connections started working. I found some comments
on Google about some problems Apple devices had/have with remote IMAP
authentication protocols and that sounds like what is happening because
the symptoms are very similar. My symptoms exist almost all the time
with the old router, but they do clear up once or twice a month and
allow the IMAP connection to retrieve emails. Very strange. We have had
no problems at all using the new router.

Neither router has updated software.

Thanks for any thoughts you might have. Because the new router is
working as expected, I am not in critical need of the information, but I
am now just curious.