[TriLUG] Instructional Video Capture Software

Scott Chilcote via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Fri Aug 5 10:33:00 EDT 2016

Hi LUGgers,

My employer has been asked to provide some instructional videos that
provide basic instruction on how to get started using some of our web
applications.  These are to help our primary customer train new employees.

${BOSS} came to me and said to find a screen video capture product with
the right bells and whistles.  I looked around and found no shortage of
such products for Linux, e.g. recordMyDesktop, VLC, ScreenStudio, KRUT,
Simple Screen Recorder, VocoScreen, Kazam, OBS, and more.

Most of the recorders I've seen can limit the recording to a single
window, which seems useful for web-application specific video capture.
They don't support video editing, adding labels and callouts, etc., so I
expect we'll need to use something like Cinelerra, OpenShot, and/or
something else to clean up and add finishing touches.

I mentioned the variety of free and open software I'd found for Linux to
${BOSS}, but he wasn't impressed.  He "isn't trying to save money"
"wants something we all can easily use", "has useful features", and "has
professional results".

Being a total newb when it comes to this, I'm hoping there are trilug
members who have experience they can share?

I'm particularly interested in being able to add arrow pointers and
callouts to the video, so that the voice-over can effectively identify
product features.  Some animation relating to these wouldn't hurt.

Thanks for any help,

   Scott C.

--
Scott Chilcote