[TriLUG] Yahoo Instant Messenger - cross platform client suggestions

Steve Holton via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Wed Aug 24 14:27:14 EDT 2016

>From what I understand, Yahoo is changing their message server protocols
and will be discontinuing the servers which supported 3rd party clients
(Pidgin) and forcing all users to use the *new* Yahoo client (no Linux
support).

   - Do I have this story right, or are there details I'm missing?

   - Is there talk about a workaround for Pidgin (or other 3rd party
   clients) to continue using Yahoo IM?

   - What are the recommended replacement cross-platform (including Linux)
   clients/protocols if I need to abandon YIM protocol altogether?

Thanks for suggestions and feedback.

--
Steve Holton
sph0lt0n at gmail.com