[TriLUG] Google Fiber Triangle Build out

Matt Flyer via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Aug 25 13:14:45 EDT 2016

The technical issues with a wireless system are numerous.  Do recall
that a few companies have already tried making a go of wide area WiFi
and failed at it. In order to get any amount of through put, you will
require a large signal bandwidth which puts you up in the UHF or higher
spectrum.  That puts you in line of sight transmission and the higher
the frequency the more power required.  Interference, weather (rain in
particular), and building penetration become problems that reduce the
available bandwidth, signal strength and SNR, etc.  On top of all of
that you are talking about multiplexing a number of signals which will
reduce the availability to any particular user.  I think you would
quickly wind up with a cell phone type system very quickly.  There are
many reasons why fiber optic (ludicrous bandwidth) and even copper wire
are far superior.

Satellite is a fine technology for something like TV where you're
broadcasting the same signal(s) over a wide area but it doesn't work so
great for internet access and suffers from LONG latency issues.  Think
of how it would work with only a handful of (satellite) receivers
trying to handle thousands upon thousands of ground users
simultaneously transmitting to them.