[TriLUG] Google Fiber Triangle Build out

David Both via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Fri Aug 26 08:40:53 EDT 2016

On 08/26/2016 08:25 AM, Matt Flyer via TriLUG wrote:
> On Fri, 2016-08-26 at 02:29 -0400, David Burton via TriLUG wrote:
>> I think I probably had the last BBS up and running in the Triangle
>> <http://archive.is/CxHPo#selection-9.1680-9.1758>. One of the very
>> last
>> ones, anyhow.
>>
>> It ran Waffle, on OS/2, and provided a free dial-up UUCP email
>> forwarding
>> service for quite a few neighbors, once upon a time. It ran two
>> lines, but
>> I eventually cut it back to just one line, as a combination BBS+fax.
> On Fri, 2016-08-26 at 01:56 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
>> On 08/25/2016 01:14 PM, Matt Flyer via TriLUG wrote:
>>>
>> I remember back when there were about 50 modem users in all of
>> Houston.
>> You could tell all of the Apple][ users since we typed in all caps!
>> From
>> 300 baud, things have REALLY changed! :) Ric
>>
> I remember those good old days of calling up BBS systems, dialing and
> redialing for tens of minutes trying to get through to popular ones.  I
> remember one in particular had some sort of medieval, feudal, multi-
> player game going and you were allowed two turns per day.  It was a
> challenge to just get through.
>
> The other thing the BBS's were good for was repositories of free
> software to download.  Piracy was a big no-no, at least publicly,
> though there was certainly a counter culture, that seemed to be derived
> from the "phone freakers" that focused on breaking copy protection,
> which was pretty much a joke back then anyway and typically amounted to
> putting "error" sectors in hidden areas of the disk.
>
> I had several friends with whom I would call and we would switch our
> modems over to data (first 300 baud, then 1200, and when 2400 came out
> you were really cruising).  We would exchange game programs using
> protocols such as X-Modem, Punter, and Kermit and getting periods of
> bad phone connections were hair pulling events.
>
> It still amazes me what was done with 48K of ram and a 1 MHz, 8 bit
> processor, especially compared to a lot of the bloated garbage produced
> today.  There is still something intrinsically fun about those old game
> programs and I still like to play them on an emulator once in a while.
>
> I must be getting old ....

Some of us **ARE** old - I turn 70 on Sunday - I remember that, too. I
about had an orgasm when I got my 56Kb modem. Thought I had died and
gone to computer heaven. I had a CompuServe login for many years and
thought that was cool.

Oh, well. Old sysadmins never die - their bits just start falling off. ;-)

David P. Both, RHCE
Millennium Technology Consulting LLC
Raleigh, NC, USA
919-389-8678

dboth at millennium-technology.com

www.millennium-technology.com
www.databook.bz - Home of the DataBook for Linux
DataBook is a Registered Trademark of David Both
This communication may be unlawfully collected and stored by the National
Security Agency (NSA) in secret. The parties to this email do not consent to the
retrieving or storing of this communication and any related metadata, as well as
printing, copying, re-transmitting, disseminating, or otherwise using it. If you
believe you have received this communication in error, please delete it
immediately.