[TriLUG] Google Fiber Triangle Build out

Matt Flyer via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Fri Aug 26 14:53:42 EDT 2016

On Fri, 2016-08-26 at 14:18 -0400, Steve Litt via TriLUG wrote:

> I carefully pulled out of the parking lot, deliberately and calmly
> drove
> two blocks away, got out of the car, and did a victory dance. I'd
> just
> bought 1000MB for only $799. Too bad Egghead took such a loss, but
> heck, I really needed a big disk and I wasn't made of money.
>
> Two years later I bought a disk 6 times bigger for 1/3 the price. :-)

I remember when they came out with 1 Megabyte 5-1/4" FLOPPY disks.  I
couldn't believe the storage capacity and was quick to get one.  I soon
discovered that the things had a real tendency to develop errors and
become unusable.

I also remember my first HDD and being impressed that I actually had a
hard drive.  It was a whopping 10MB.

As we were mentioning the BBS days, I also recall it being a big,
impressive, deal if a BBS had a hard drive for storage. That was a
serious sysop.