[TriLUG] Upgrade Debian 7 to 8

Scott Chilcote via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Sep 8 16:29:13 EDT 2016

After hundreds of hours lost banging on failed upgrades over the years,
my #1 best practice is to always put /home on a dedicated partition.  Do
a custom install and leave that partition exactly as it is (no format).
Format all of the others (unless you multi-boot, but then you don't need
this advice) and fresh install.  I haven't had a problem doing this,
even when I got sloppy and skipped backing up /home...  Which I'm not
advising anyone to consider.

In my experience, the upgrade process only works smoothly under clean
room conditions, such as 1) you haven't side-loaded any applications via
the package manager, 2) you haven't had any failed app installs that you
had to unsnarl by hand, and 3) you didn't install any odd developer bits
of software that overlap the upgrade processes to-do list... There's
probably more.

This approach won't keep you entirely out of trouble, but it will avoid
that very un-fun situation that occurs when you upgrade runs off the
rails 9/10ths of the way through and says "Your system is in unstable
condition, try running some of these package manager commands to clean
up."  At which point, the very last thing you want to do is reboot
before the holes have all been plugged.

Hopefully, not too ranty...

  Scott C.