[TriLUG] Upgrade Debian 7 to 8

Ric Moore via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Fri Sep 9 01:11:35 EDT 2016

On 09/08/2016 04:32 PM, Ken MacKenzie via TriLUG wrote:
> I always put /home on its own partition.  It has saved me distro hopping
> upgrades over the years.  Although a tip.  It is useful to put the contents
> of your ~/.config in a different location.  Then after everything is
> installed handle what needs to be handled.  Especially with different
> versions of some desktop environments between releases I find using the old
> configuration files sometimes leads to more headaches than restarting your
> layout based on the new version.

I use the old Caldera style of using an /opt partition a lot. I have an
/opt/ric folder where I keep Documents Videos Downloads Music Pictures
src as well as .mozilla and .thunderbird. Then home gets clobbered in
the install process so I have no old crufty config files laying around.
Everything is as the God Devel intended. After first reboot, I link all
of those directories to my new home dir and I'm back in business. If
something blows up I can just fire up the dvd and re-install. I run sid,
so I have to "Be Prepared". I have an /opt/etc directory where I keep a
copy of xorg.conf and sources.list. I run 4 monitor so I hate
re-inventing the xorg.conf file. Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html