[TriLUG] Upgrade Debian 7 to 8

Alan Porter via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Fri Sep 9 10:26:10 EDT 2016

> I've upgraded Debian systems a number of times without issues.
> Although I haven't done this specific update, I chose to replace most
> of my older systems for other reasons.

I've also upgraded Debian systems for years using the "edit /
dist-upgrade" approach, and had good results.  The nice thing about
Debian packaging is that a release upgrade is no different than an
incremental upgrade... it's just uses a different list of packages.

However, on the last few Ubuntu upgrades I've done, I used
"do-release-upgrade", and ran into hiccups because of it.  It tries to
run as a split client and server, so you can disconnect from it while
it's upgrading.  And then it runs itself in a screen session, again so
you can disconnect.  With each release, it seems to be getting a little
worse.

I wonder what "do-release-upgrade" does, other than just edit and
dist-upgrade.  I've had better luck running screen/tmux and editing and
upgrading without their little convenience wrapper.

Alan