[TriLUG] Open source software to monitor hundreds of VMs

Nikolas Everett via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Fri Sep 9 12:09:41 EDT 2016

On Fri, Sep 9, 2016 at 11:37 AM, Matt Pusateri <mpusateri at wickedtrails.com>
wrote:

> ELK - Elastic Search Logstash Kibana as a project seems to be making it
> difficult to download/install unless you want to clone github. I'm
> wondering if their setting up for a more closed or thinly veiled open
> source model.

Going off topic but whatever:

If they are no one has told me and I'm an Elastic employee and a full time
contributor to Elasticsearch. Each individual project publishes deb and rpm
packages. If I had to guess it is just difficult to install because no one
has made it easy yet. Each project feels like and individual project
because they are. I've never used logstash and only rarely used kibana. I
installed a beat once, I think.

>From Elastic's standpoint hard to install is bad because it really wants
you to enjoy using all the bits of the Elastic stack and decide to pay for
a subscription because the subscription comes with some shiny feature. I'm
genuinely torn about which features should be open source vs closed source
but I think for the most part Elastic has made the right calls. Still, it
is hard because I want as much as possible to be open source but I'd like
to continue to be payed to work on open source software and if no one pays
Elastic for stuff I'd be out of a job.

Nik