[TriLUG] hands-free mic: need recommendations

Francois Dion via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Fri Oct 7 20:53:21 EDT 2016

Budget? Does it have to be near indestructible?

Until digital wireless, they pretty much were all problematic to varying degree. With digital, the electronics are pretty much all ok for short ranges.

Systems like Shure ULXD are absolutely amazing. I've used both D1 (lavalier) and B58 (sm58 capsule handheld transmitter) extensively, and with the optional charging station, they are trouble free.
Of course, these cost quite a good bit of money. PGX-D are way cheaper but not in the same class in term of robustness, although, keeping spare parts is an option.

The main issue you'll face with body packs is that the less expensive models (across various brands) are quite plasticky and fragile, particularly the battery door, the belt clip, the jacks. If you can find a model that can be charged without having to open the battery compartment, id go with that.

As a side note, ill be bringing a few different types of microphones at next weeks' meeting.

Francois

Sent from my iPad