[TriLUG] [TriEmbed] In Need of Job Advice

Hrivnak, Michael via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Sun Oct 23 11:07:50 EDT 2016

I agree strongly with giving them an invoice ASAP. That's a very normal
workflow for a contractor anyway. Be polite, be professional, and frame
your request as a helpful gesture. For example:

"I know how busy Bob has been lately, so I put together this invoice to
help the payment process get moving. It's important to me to get this taken
care of; whose sign-off do we need before payment can be made?"

Assuming good faith and that they really are just busy and negligent, right
now your contract might require enough work that they're continually
tempted to defer thinking about it. Maybe they haven't written it yet, or
they're worried about specific terms. Handing them an invoice simplifies
their immediate task and takes some burden off of them. Approving a payment
is much easier than forging an ongoing agreement, so you may be doing this
person a favor by producing an invoice.

An invoice also serves as documentation of your rate, so at least from here
out they could not claim surprise at the rate you're expecting.

Good luck,
Michael