[TriLUG] Shrinking docker images

J. S. Evans via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Mon Oct 24 02:48:01 EDT 2016

Is there an application that can delete non-essential parts of a docker
image?  For example, I wrote a docker image to run a windows app with
mono using the stock Ubuntu base image. The image works and the
container that I create with it runs the app, but after the image was
built, it was > 300MB. I would like to know if there is an easy way to
determine what parts of the filesystem would be safe to delete.

My guess would be to run ps while it is running and delete anything
that's not needed such apt/dpkg or anything in /var, /usr/local, etc.
Does anyone know of an application that I could run that would do this
for me without the headache?

Jason