[TriLUG] ATT gigabit internet quick review

ac via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Sun Dec 4 23:23:36 EST 2016

On Sun, 4 Dec 2016 22:58:51 -0500
Wes Garrison <wes at xitechusa.com> wrote:

> I've never had Charter or TWC mess with DNS, but anything's possible
> nowadays.

There is a line though, and if people choose to cross that line, then
they have to also be honest about their services and what they offer.

For example, some people may be very comfortable letting their aged
parental unit use an Intranet but others may want to know that they
have a free and open Internet.

I guess consumers need to force companies to label their network
products correctly?

You cannot advertise puppies and then go and supply kittens.
(do we have to worry any longer about political correctness?
in case we  do: you also cannot advertise kittens and supply puppies)

I think this issue is far more important than people understand or care
- but as you said, keyword: nowadays - no one cares until they do, and
then it matters no longer as nothing can be done anyway

To guys like us right now, it matters not much, for now...
(we can setup quagga, run our own dns on any unfiltered port, etc - it
is only when they mess further with the layers or start inspecting
packets on all ports that we will actually start complaining - then of
course, it will no longer matter)

Andre