[TriLUG] OpenVPN and CentOS 6

Brian McCullough via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Dec 15 11:10:26 EST 2016

I should have asked here a long time ago ( at least a week! ), but
better late....

I am trying to set up OpenVPN on a CentOS 6 machine, and have run into
an issue.

I have been using Debian-based machines much more than RedHat-based ones
lately, so am a bit lost.

I am running into an issue where the tun0 device is missing.  Of course,
when OpenVPN ( which I installed with yum ) tries to start, it fails.

When I look at /dev, there are none, but in /dev/net, there is a tun
device.

>From advice, I added ifcfg-tun0, with the following:

DEVICE="tun0"
BOOTPROTO="none"
ONBOOT="no"

but that doesn't seem to help.

If I try "ifup tun0" I get:
Device tun0 does not seem to be present, delaying initialization.

My searching doesn't seem to find anything particularly relevant,
talking about GRE tunnels and the like, and seem to be concentrating on
TAP, not TUN.

I even tried adding TYPE="tun" to the ifcfg-tun0 file, but no help.

Suggestions, etc?

Thank you,
Brian

----- End forwarded message -----