[TriLUG] Error checking for dd?

Brian via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Wed Dec 21 09:37:28 EST 2016

My money's on sync.

I've got some SD cards that have horrifying write speeds (< 5 MiB/sec).
  Kernel caching can allow dd to finish with hundreds of kB waiting to
be written to the medium.

A handy trick I recently discovered is the command "watch", which can
show you the amount (in bytes) of cached write operations waiting.  This
can be very helpful when wondering why sync or umount (which calls sync)
is seemingly hung.

watch grep -e Dirty: -e Writeback: /proc/meminfo

Courtesy of:
http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/48235/can-i-watch-the-progress-of-a-sync-operation

HTH, YMMV, IANAL, IMHO, OMGWTFBBQ,
-Brian