[TriLUG] Namecheap renewal fees

Alan Porter via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Sun Jan 1 12:08:38 EST 2017

> Godaddy is pricy for some things but their DNS management tools are
> really top notch IMHO.

This is actually one of the reasons I left GoDaddy.  I felt like I could
not do a simple DNS change without navigating through a maze of tacky
ads, and when I finally made it through that gauntlet, the basic web
interface for managing DNS was very slow.

Today, I use namecheap for all of my domain registrations, and I manage
their DNS records at Linode.  That means the only interaction I have
with namecheap DNS is setting their nameservers to "custom DNS" and
listing Linode's 4 nameserver addresses (ns[1-4].linode.com).

I like to tell people that there are three completely separate services
that you need in order to be on the internet, and they do not have to be
provided by the same company.

* domain registration
* DNS for the domain
* an actual host