[TriLUG] Home lab setup recommendation

Rogers, Matthew via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Wed Jan 4 13:21:34 EST 2017

I did a homelab analysis a few months ago, everyone has their own answer, but this is mine.

A Dell T7600 refurb ~$1000 with 128GB of ram and 16 Xeon CPU cores. This takes ESXi 6.0 and completely works with zero tweaking.  These are $12,000 new.....
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Precision-T7600-2x-2-60GHz-8-Core-E5-2670-128GB-RAM-1TB-HD-H310-No-OS-/381763039168

Running ESXi 6.0 now includes the HTML5 console that works great.  The Dell T7600 is a workstation so it uses server grade components, like Xeon CPUs and ECC memory, and since it's a workstation is quiet and small (mid tower!).  HP makes some great stuff as well z620/z680, but they are >$1500 for the same CPUs.

I wouldn't buy anything older than the E5 series for CPUs.  I run some SSDs in it and am running around 16 VMs without any performance issues.

Matthew Rogers
Senior Security Manager
O: +1.919.329.1130    M: +1.919.691.4636
allscripts.com | matthew.rogers2 at allscripts

Allscripts: Building open, connected communities of health