[TriLUG] Blogging software recommendation

Brian Bouterse via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Fri Jan 6 17:50:36 EST 2017

I use Jekyll, and I really like it. For the theme, we found an open source
theme we liked and ported our content into it. We also host for free with
github pages[0], which I also recommend.

[0]: http://pages.github.com/

Brian

On Fri, Jan 6, 2017 at 5:34 PM, Igor Partola via TriLUG <trilug at trilug.org>
wrote:

> I have switched away from WordPress for personal blogging a few years ago.
> Constantly keeping up with updates, poor performance, having to run PHP and
> MySQL just to serve mostly static content... I just got so tired of it.
>
> Personally, I use Pelican because it's written in Python. But, you can't
> really go wrong with any of the ones listed at https://www.staticgen.com/.
> I see Jakyll and Hugo mentioned quite a bit.
>
> Now, this will take you more than an hour to set up, but likely less than a
> day. I developed my own custom theme for Pelican, but I believe you can now
> choose from a variety of free themes, and I suspect paid ones might already
> be out there for some of these.
>
> You can host a completely static site like this son S3 for pennies a month:
> no servers to administer, nothing to worry about at all.
>
> Personally, if I was to choose a blogging platform today, I would go with
> one of these, or just pay WordPress.com their fee to host it for me with a
> custom domain. Administering WordPress yourself is just too much hassle.
>
> Igor
> --
> This message was sent to: bmbouter at gmail.com <bmbouter at gmail.com>
> options/trilug/bmbouter%40gmail.com