[TriLUG] Maintenance of a systemd machine

David Both via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Sat Jan 7 15:53:57 EST 2017

A normal reboot always runs fsck to check the integrity of the
filesystems before they are mounted. If a filesystem is past the time or
number of reboots defined when they were created - or changed by tune2fs
- a more detailed cleanup will be performed during the boot process.

However, if you need to do something beyond a "normal" fsck, you can
boot to runlevel 1 or recovery mode and umount /var and /usr as they are
not needed in runlevel 1. Run fsck on them and remount them. You could
also try booting from a recovery CD or thumb drive and then run fsck on
the appropriate drives, especially if you need to run it against the
root filesystem. These are not normally remote types of operations
unless you have some form of lights out management system that provides
console access during boot - and someone to insert the bootable recovery
medium.

Do you have a specific problem you are trying to fix?

I hope this helps.

On 01/07/2017 03:28 PM, Brian McCullough via TriLUG wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I hope that everybody is having a FUN snow ( ?? ) day.  Here, SouthWest
> of Raleigh in Apex, it was mostly ice with a dusting of snow on top, but
> I hear that others had more of the white stuff.
>

> In any case, I have a Debian SystemD machine where I need to run fsck on
> various filesystems, such as /var and /usr.
>
> Unfortunately, with a normally-running system, that is impossible, since
> those filesystems, and others, are mounted and in use.
>
> Even re-booting and choosing Recovery Mode gets me into a fully-mounted
> running system.
>
> Any suggestions for getting the system "almost" shut down so that I can
> run fsck on critical systems?
>

> Thanks,
> Brian

David P. Both, RHCE
Millennium Technology Consulting LLC
Raleigh, NC, USA
919-389-8678

dboth at millennium-technology.com

www.millennium-technology.com
www.databook.bz - Home of the DataBook for Linux
DataBook is a Registered Trademark of David Both
This communication may be unlawfully collected and stored by the National
Security Agency (NSA) in secret. The parties to this email do not consent to the
retrieving or storing of this communication and any related metadata, as well as
printing, copying, re-transmitting, disseminating, or otherwise using it. If you
believe you have received this communication in error, please delete it
immediately.