[TriLUG] Blogging software recommendation

Alan Porter via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Sun Jan 8 15:22:15 EST 2017

I have moved to a git + jekyll wiki for my own personal notes. It's the
same as the github solution mentioned earlier, but hosted myself.

Basically, the content is all stored in text files... in plain text or
markdown format.  From anywhere, I check out my "wiki" git project,
which contains the content and a special script.  I edit the content
text files, and then I push my changes back up to the server.

At that point, a post-update hook script runs.  It loops through all of
the *.txt and *.md files, runs jekyll (a template system that adds the
layout, top banner, menu, whatever) and it produces a bunch of static
HTML files.  It also produces an index file that lists the contents of
the wiki.  It's a pretty simple script, and there's almost nothing that
needs to be administered or locked down.

You would need a place to host the git repo and the generated HTML.  A
shell account on the TriLUG server would be a fine choice.

I have a skeleton of the wiki (just the scripts, with no wiki content)
on my github.  Feel free to borrow and adapt it.

https://github.com/sudoer/simple-jekyll-wiki

Alan