[TriLUG] AWS/S3 hosting

Lance A. Brown via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Mon Jan 23 09:40:29 EST 2017

Roger W. Broseus via TriLUG wrote on 1/22/2017 10:20 PM:
> Very useful info for a new comer to cloud / AWS.
>
> I find the pricing impossible to under stand. I want to use ASW / S3 for
> off-site back up by keeping data in an encrypted .tar file. Data size
> would be less than 150 GB with infrequent transfers. They say it's cheap
> but I'm a loss to verify that.

Hi Roger,

AWS provides a cost estimator to help you get a feel for such things:

https://calculator.s3.amazonaws.com/index.html

You need to guestimate what kind of request traffic you'll be generating
but you can at least get a feel for what it might cost you.  Second tab
down on the lft is 'Amazon S3'.

--[Lance]