[TriLUG] Server Certificates and Wild Cards

Aaron Schrab via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Tue Jan 31 18:48:47 EST 2017

At 13:16 -0500 31 Jan 2017, Igor Partola wrote:
>Yes, LE root is in all major browsers. It has been for almost a year
>now.

I don't think it's been that long. The blog post noted below[1]
indicates that it was first added to Firefox in version 50 released Q4
2016. I haven't seen references to if or when it was added to other
browsers.

But it is cross signed by another root certificate that is widely
recognized, so this isn't really a problem. They have a compatibility
page[2] which lists the compatibility status of a lot of client
software, and based on that I think for the most part any clients that
won't work with it are likely to have other issues as well.

[1] https://letsencrypt.org/2016/08/05/le-root-to-be-trusted-by-mozilla.html
[2] https://letsencrypt.org/docs/certificate-compatibility/