[TriLUG] Display adapter and cable to monitor

Brian McCullough via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Feb 2 01:20:32 EST 2017

I have been bothered for a while, ever since I bought and installed a
new 32-inch HP monitor, because it only seems to do 1920x1080, rather
than the native 2560x1440.

I have been doing research tonight, and find that while X.0.log shows a
lot of information about the card and all, it is very informative about
the mode lines.  Incidentally, this is a Radeon Cedar-type board.

At first, it shows a list of mode lines that include, and seem to
prefer, 2560x1440, but then say that the HDMI output is active, and it
will only deliver 1920x1080.

Apparently, the DVI output is the desired one.

OK, no problem.  I will get a DVI cable an attach that.

Oops!   The card on the machine talks DVI, but this new monitor only has
two HDMI connectors and a DisplayPort connector.

OK, so back to the research.

I find that if I want to plug a cable into my Apple laptop with a
DisplayPort connector and then into my monitor with a DVI connector, no
problem.  HOWEVER, I want the connection to go the other way.  Is this
possible?  The research says: probably not.  EXCEPT that the maximum
resolution that the adaptors that I have found is 1920x1080.

NO improvement, even if the cable works the other way.

More research.

MAYBE I found an adapter that is designed for DVI on computer, DP on
monitor.

But, again, the maximum resolution is 1920x1080.

SOoooo.  The final question is, is there such a thing as a DVI to DP
adapter that will handle the native resolution of this monitor? Would a
different video card improve the situation?

Is there another solution altogether?

Thank you,
Brian