[TriLUG] DIG and Nameservers

Brian McCullough via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Fri Feb 17 16:30:36 EST 2017

On Fri, Feb 17, 2017 at 04:24:45PM -0500, Triangle Linux Users Group discussion list wrote:
> I guess I'm lucky, it works for me...  Definitely weird.
>
> [paul at at ~]$ dig -t ns rentalventures.com ns0.directnic.com +short

Actually, Paul, I was using the "dig @nameserver domain.name" method,
while you are using "dig domain.name nameserver" variation.

I just tried that, and with "any" it still doesn't give much useful
information, but "-t mx" does show both MX records.

Don't you love it when the documentation ( man page ) doesn't seem to
match the program?

"-t txt" doesn't return anything, still.

Oh, well.

What prompted this was error messages from Yahoo.com about DMARC and SPF
when we try to send e-mail messages to Yahoo addresses.

Thanks,
Brian