[TriLUG] DIG and Nameservers ( actually Yahoo.com mail )

Brian McCullough via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Sun Feb 19 08:18:16 EST 2017

On Sun, Feb 19, 2017 at 10:34:10AM +0200, Triangle Linux Users Group discussion list wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Feb 2017 22:41:09 -0500
> Brian McCullough via TriLUG <trilug at trilug.org> wrote:
> > On Fri, Feb 17, 2017 at 03:34:55PM -0500, Triangle Linux Users Group
> > discussion list wrote:
> > > I think that I am asking the right questions, but I am not getting
> > > the answers that I expect.
> > As I said previously, thank you all for the help.
> > After removing the incorrect "*" from a couple of places, and waiting
> > the required time, everything now matches what I expect from dig.
> > It doesn't address the original issue, which was Yahoo refusing to
> > deliver mail.
> >
> > I think that I have found a way around that, outside of DNS.
> >
> I know that there are many dead cats as a direct result of curiosity
> (and I do realize that some people grab cats literally by the hairs and
> then end up on national news) but....
>
> Please could you share your e-mail solution (& problem) with yahoo?

Certainly.

Over the past few years Yahoo has instituted a policy that says, in
effect, if our server did not originate this message, and it has a
yahoo.com sender ( From address ), do NOT deliver this message.

Because some of our users have yahoo.com e-mail addresses, and they send
e-mail from our server, if they encounter a yahoo.com server, the mail
stops and is dropped on the floor.

Most of the e-mail that I am concerned with is Customer Service e-mail,
which becomes an issue if it isn't delivered to Customer Service!

To get around this, I moved their address from the From field to the
ReplyTo field, so that Customer Service can still get back to them, but
Yahoo doesn't seem to complain. ( this week! )

Brian