[TriLUG] Laptop recommendations

Ken MacKenzie via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Tue Feb 21 17:30:11 EST 2017

Oh boy, privacy...

Yes google stores a lot about you, but so do a lot of other services people
use.  And if we really want to be private we need to be talking tor, or
VPN's and other services to shield you self.  Most non tech users who are
worried about privacy get all worried about the sites they visit yet keep
javascript enabled on their browsers with no caveats and don't keep up to
date on security patches.

A simple fact about the chromebook platform is it is very secure.  If you
don't believe so there is quite a bounty out there to prove them wrong.

If someone really wants to be a ghost online and that worried about privacy
it is time to buy a burner phone and do all your computing from the library
with a usb key that never touches your personal hardware that contains a
live linux distro.

Look at the end of the day you asked something like this:

Hey I need a car to get back and forth to work, buy groceries, take the
kids to school.  I have a $250,000 budget and nothing short of an italian
supercar will do and I want a custom engine in it that will not have a
warranty for a user with no mechanical skills.

Ok that was a bit of hyperbole.   Either way this is an open discussion
form and I feel now as I did when I first read it your exclusion of
chromebooks is not based on the most solid foundation.

But hey, opinions vary.