[TriLUG] Google Fiber Space --- Re: TriLUG Digest, Vol 3031, Issue 1

Nikolas Everett via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Fri Feb 24 09:55:07 EST 2017

On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 8:32 AM mr-trilug via TriLUG <trilug at trilug.org>
wrote:

> On 02/23/2017 12:00 PM, via TriLUG wrote:
> > Message: 1
> > Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2017 14:09:51 -0500
> > From: Alan Porter via TriLUG<trilug at trilug.org>
> > To: mr-trilug<mver at trilug.org>, Triangle Linux Users Group General
> >       Discussion<trilug at trilug.org>
> > Subject: Re: [TriLUG] Google Fiber - redux - Raleigh - Ridgewood.
> >> Has anyone heard differently, with dates of expected service for the
> area North of Ridgewood Shopping Center (Wade Avenue), West of Oberlin and
> South of Glenwood Ave.?
> > It might be worth a visit to their new sales office at the corner of
> Jones Street and Glenwood Avenue in downtown Raleigh.
> >
> > - alan
> Thanks Alan,
> I followed up with a visit on 23 Feb. Space is in former up-scale
> restaurant. Tres Chic.
> But: staff claims total ignorance of dates for roll out. No dates for
> completion of city. No dates for any particular section of the city.
>
> I did learn that the plan is for hopscotching around the Triangle:
> Morrisville, North Hills, central city, ?,  ?. The fact that you live
> adjacent to one of these areas apparently means little for the
> prospective date of service to your premises.
>
> I told them IMO they were shooting themselves in the foot with the
> policy of closeness about service delivery areas.

I'm getting hammered by adds for Fiber on youtube and the like but I'm
about 5 minutes too far from North Hills to get it. I'm sad about it and
the ads are rubbing it in! I could really use the upload bandwidth....

I visited the fiber space because I had to download something large. It was
way faster to drive to the space and download it then it was to do it over
Time Warner Cable. The sales folks didn't know much of anything about
anything I asked. But I don't expect their job is to sell to technical
folks. I think their job is to convince non-technical folks that the
service is better.

Nik