[TriLUG] Off-Topic are WIFI routers just getting worse

Steve Litt via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Mar 23 01:20:41 EDT 2017

On Wed, 22 Mar 2017 21:57:35 -0400 (EDT)
Dewey Hylton via TriLUG <trilug at trilug.org> wrote:

> i haven't used a wifi router since the 802.11b days, because i've
> built my own firewalls ... but i've used plenty of access points, and
> what i've been the most happy with are the unifi models from
> ubiquiti. i have them at the house, at the office, and have deployed
> lots of them at customer sites ... their management software runs on
> linux, and works very well.

How do I buy a machine that's an access point and nothing more? I'd
love that. All that firewall stuff is just more complication making
troubleshooting harder. Once I have an access point whose input is cat
5 and output that is ethernet over radio, my pfSense box in the corner
does the rest.

SteveT

Steve Litt
March 2017 featured book: Troubleshooting: Why Bother?
http://www.troubleshooters.com/twb