[TriLUG] RARSfest TriLUG Table SignUp

Peter Neilson via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Fri Apr 14 23:06:21 EDT 2017

On Fri, 14 Apr 2017 21:29:14 -0400, Steve Litt via TriLUG
<trilug at trilug.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 14 Apr 2017 09:28:36 -0400
> R Radford via TriLUG <trilug at trilug.org> wrote:
>

>> * is there any benefit of giving out CDs now that most people have
>> easy access to high speed networks?
>
> Abso-lutely!
>
> No matter how much of the OS' core and apps are stored on the Internet,
> you still need a bootable install CD or thumb drive to get the computer
> to a state where it can access the Internet to download everything.
> Each CD costs fifteen cents. Each thumb drive is over a buck.
>
> Also, notice how you phrased your question: "now that MOST people have
> easy access..." For a very long time into the future, some folks will
> be geographically excommunicated from broadband, so you might want to
> have a few full DVD installers that yield a working system without an
> Internet connection.

--"geographically excommunicated from broadband"-- that's perhaps even
some of your friends and relatives. And ME!!

As far as I can tell they brought the fiber-optic cable (as yet still
unused, from what I can see) up to about 20 feet from the corner of my
property, about 1100 feet from my house. I think the reason is that until
22 years ago my land was tobacco field, so I'll bet that according to
their planning documents I do not exist. My population density is too low.