[TriLUG] AMD Rizen

Jeffery Painter via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Tue Apr 18 11:57:09 EDT 2017

I can report some success now using the Ryzen CPU - I ended up swapping
out the MB for the MSI X370 Pro Carbon, and it has the added bonus of a
second M.2 slot for future expansion.  I updated the final part list
here: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/38vppb

I was able to install Ubuntu Server 17.04 directly to the NVMe SSD (I
had detached any other storage media before installation), and it worked
flawlessly.  I am slowly moving over my build environment to this new
machine, but so far it looks solid.

I am not sure I am getting the full performance from the SSD.  On my old
workstation (merlin) I have a Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB and hdparm tells
me I am getting the following:

root at merlin:~# hdparm -Tt /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
  Timing cached reads:   33858 MB in  2.00 seconds = 16952.84 MB/sec
  Timing buffered disk reads: 1602 MB in  3.00 seconds = 533.76 MB/sec

But on the new M.2 drive, I am seeing a little worse performance:

Samsung SSD 850 EVO M.2 500GB
root at dev:~# hdparm -Tt /dev/sdb

/dev/sdb:
  Timing cached reads:   19388 MB in  2.00 seconds = 9703.18 MB/sec
  Timing buffered disk reads: 1598 MB in  3.00 seconds = 532.10 MB/sec

I am not sure if there is some tuning I can do to improve the speed
there. If anyone has experience using NVMe drives, I would appreciate
your advice.  The Ryzen build is running the following kernel:

root at dev:~# uname -a
Linux dev 4.10.0-19-generic #21-Ubuntu SMP Thu Apr 6 17:04:57 UTC 2017
x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I didn't do anything special with the SSD in my main workstation.  I did
a clean install of Ubuntu 17.04 on both my old workstation and this new
build to make sure I was working from comparable systems.

A side note - on my workstation, I hit a bad kernel bug after two days
working under 17.04 (reported here
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1682184 - duplicate
of https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1674838 ) so I
am currently running one of the mainline builds now on this machine. I
have not hit the bug yet on the Ryzen system.

painter at merlin:~$ uname -a
Linux merlin 4.10.8-041008-generic #201703310531 SMP Fri Mar 31 09:33:56
UTC 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Thanks,
Jeff