[TriLUG] Improvements for my church's network

Thomas V Thomas via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Apr 20 12:03:59 EDT 2017

Here's a tutorial to live stream to Youtube using OBS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyVuDiSE-l0 .. It''s possible to add
logo/branding etc to the video stream

Are you planning to use OBS for streaming... https://obsproject.com/. If
using OBS you will need PC/laptop with good specs (eg: Intel i5/i7) and in
OBS use the Intel QuickSync (or AMD equivalent) for encoding as it will
improve perf/reduce cpu usage. There are a lot of resources on their
website to optimize performance & improve video quality.

Since you only have 5M upload speed it may be better to downscale stream to
720p. Video may need to be de-interlaced (in OBS) depending on the input
video format.

You will need a video camera which can preferably output Clear HDMI (This
link may help to determine cameras which support clean HDMI
https://www.atomos.com/cameras)

To capture video to PC/Laptop via OBS you will need a capture device
eg: Magewell XI100DUSB HDMI USB 3.0 Capture Dongle or Startech USB3HDCAP
USB 3.0 Capture

--Thomas