[TriLUG] AMD Rizen

Jeffery Painter via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Sat Apr 22 08:26:33 EDT 2017

Hi Dwain,

Thanks for the tip!

I did some more testing (copying lots of large files, removing files,
etc) am getting the expected speed/performance out of this drive.

It was my mistake that I ordered a Samsung 850 EVO and the read/write
performance on that particular model is limited to 540 MB/s on both read
and write operations.  I had just assumed all NVMe drives were created
equal, but that is definitely not the case.

I just ordered a Gen3 x4 NVMe which reportedly can do 2.6Gb/s read and
1.3Gb/s write - much better.  I am doing a large number of MySQL
transactions and will be interesting to see how much this helps.  I
think for the primary OS/boot drive, the Samsung is fine.  Luckily my
new board has two M.2 slots, so I will see if I can just migrate the
database files over to this new drive when it arrives.

--
Jeff Painter

CEO and Founder of JiveCast
Software and analytics, made together
http://jivecast.com

301 Fayetteville St. Unit 2301, Raleigh, NC 27601
(919) 533-9024