[TriLUG] SSH question ( 14th )

Brian McCullough via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Mon Jun 14 10:02:42 EDT 2021

To the Oracle:

I am trying to work out an SSH Port Forwarding issue.

I have three machines, A, B and C.

A is my local machine
B is a machine that I can reach via a VPN
C is a machine that B can reach but, due to firewall rules, I can not

I am trying to look at a web site on C

I have tried both:

1:
ssh -L 8080:C:80 me at B
http://B:8080

and

2:
ssh -L 8080:localhost:80 me at B
http://B:8080

and, in both cases, I get told that that URL refuses to connect.  If I
log in to B and do "telnet C 80" I get the "Connected to C, escape char
is" message, but nothing after that, in both cases.

Does it mean that the firewall rules allowing access from B to C are
still not open, or that I have messed up the SSH Port Forward?  ( or
both? )

Thank you,
Brian