[TriLUG] External Drive mapping to /home and another (related) issue

Matthew Glassman via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Sun Oct 10 19:39:04 EDT 2021

I have an external USB drive and it was mounting normally just fine and
would show up with no issues.  Recently, this has changed and when I look
where it is mounted, it is showing /home which seems odd.  It doesn't show
up anywhere that I can see and doesn't pop up on the desktop (yes I"m using
graphical interface too).  Anyways, I also noticed that each time I've
unplugged it and plugged it back in the device name increase a letter so
/dev/sdbX now becomes /dev/sdcX and then /dev/sddX and so on.  Any ideas?
I've not touched fstab at all, but I could to bound the UUID to the an
entry and mount it specifically somewhere.  Yes it shows up in lsblk and
blkid and gparted.  Just very strange.  I'm sure something is missing or
corrupted but I'm not sure where else to look.

Regards,
Matthew