[TriLUG] Distro choice for desktop

Dwain Sims via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Mon Oct 25 21:39:09 EDT 2021

Over the years I have used several UNIX/Linux as my everyday desktop,
starting out with an Apollo workstation running a UNIX cousin called
Aegis.  I used SunOS and then later Solaris on both SPARC and X86.

Today I am running openSUSE Tumbleweed on a Lenovo P15 which is my primary
machine, but I also have an X1 Carbon running Windows 10 on the same desk
to handle certain conference calling duties.  (use the best tool for the
job....)

Tumbleweed was not my first choice.  The transient nature of the distro
means lots of odd updates that will occasionally break things.  Well, I
take that back.  Not things, but Nvidia drivers.  In my 10 months Nvidia
has broken twice.  I had to use Tumbleweed to get the most current version
of Nvidia drivers for this hardware, to drive multiple monitors.   There is
a more up to date version of Nvidia drivers in the latest Leap 15.3,  so I
may fall back to that before the holidays.

I also made the move back to KDE when I installed Tumbleweed, and I like it
a lot.  I had used it for quite a while back in 2002 or so, and then again
on  personal system from about 2006 to about 2010.  That was also
running openSUSE.

My only current issue with the Tumbleweed box is that Teams quit working
with my bluetooth headset as soon as I installed Slack, which SUSE adopted
just recently.  The two apps cannot seem to get along.  (I see weird stuff
on Windows too, so its not totally related to the OS)

Does this help at all?

Dwain