[TriLUG] git push issue ( 20th )

Christopher Johnson via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Mon Feb 20 19:32:53 EST 2023

Just kind of spitballing based on having used git a lot in my job but based
on this documentation
<https://git-scm.com/book/en/v2/Customizing-Git-Git-Hooks>, it looks like
the steps the client goes through when pushing are:

1. Client connects to remote host
2. Client pushes remote refs
3. Client runs pre-push hook
4. If successful, client pushes objects

Depending on the method for connecting (ssh, git, or http(s)), I'm
wondering if the test run is taking too long and the connection timeouts
with no data being sent in that amount of time. Depending on the protocol,
you might be able to configure it to keep the connection alive.

If not, depending on what the goal of the hook is, I would recommend:
1.) Enforcing that tests have to be run by only allowing users to push to
non-mainline branches and use Pull Requests (PRs) and PR policies (as hooks
aren't included in the repository data that gets shared with the server)
2.) Using the pre-commit hook to run the tests. This has the added benefit
of not requiring you to `git commit --amend` when you fix the tests

Hope that helps,
CJ