[TriLUG] hiring Open-Source Software Services Engineer on "my" team

Douglas A. Whitfield via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Mon Mar 27 16:55:00 EDT 2023

This bad-boy is listed as Minneapolis and I'm sure HQ would love to have
someone there, but...my boss is in Ohio. His boss is about at that Florida
Georgia Line. His boss is in the UK. His boss is a her, but yeah, a lot of
dudes on my team.

In any case, I got into a bit of a spat with my boss' boss about the
location of this listing so I'm not going to say anything else about it and
let you talk to the hiring manager. If you have any questions that aren't
related to the location, feel free to fire them at me.

Job Description
*Open-Source Software Services Engineer*
*Location: Minneapolis, MN *

Perforce develops DevOps tools that improve software quality and security
as well as team productivity for several of the world’s leading companies,
such as PIXAR, CD Projekt Red, NASA, Verizon, Honda, NVIDIA.

Perforce Software is a leading provider of highly scalable development and
DevOps solutions designed to deliver dynamic development, intelligent
testing, risk management, and boundaryless collaboration.

OpenLogic is a division of Perforce Software that is dedicated helping
organizations effectively architect, implement, maintain, and evolve their
open-source stack.
Together we are trusted advisors for leading companies in automotive,
semiconductor, financial services, game development, virtual production,
medical devices, embedded systems, retail/consumer packaged goods (CPG),
travel and entertainment, and industrials. Our solutions are used by 75% of
Fortune 100 companies to innovate at scale.

*Position Summary:*
Perforce is seeking an Open-Source Software (OSS) Services Engineer to join
the OpenLogic team. Under remote supervision, this engineer will use their
knowledge and skills from previous experience and from on-the-job training
to contribute to projects that deliver mission critical open-source
software solutions to our customers in complex distributed environments.
The ideal candidate is expected to be self-motivated, proactive, and
results-oriented.

Our engineers are responsible for facilitating frequent and timely customer
interactions via e-mail, web portal, phone, and video conferences. The OSS
Services team conducts firsthand conversations and formal presentations to
OpenLogic’s customers, so all candidates must possess excellent written and
verbal English communication skills. They also work closely with members of
our internal Sales and Support groups, so we require a team player with a
positive attitude and a willingness to listen, learn, and share knowledge.

At OpenLogic we do open source right, and our people make it happen. We
provide the technical expertise required for maintaining healthy
implementations of hundreds of integrated open-source software packages. If
your skills meet any of the specs below, now is the time to apply to be a
part of our passionate team.

*Responsibilities:*

   - Interact with end users on technical problems
   - Deliver professional services and training engagements
   - Drive resolution to problems, which include:
      - Open-source software issues
      - Questions around open-source software usage
      - Questions around use and best practices
      - Review customer architecture and design implementations
   - Research, understand, and advocate open-source software
   - Interact with various open source communities
   - Assist the broader OpenLogic team with thorny Tier 4 level open-source
   problems
   - Share knowledge via blogs, brown-bags, and conference sessions

*Requirements:*

   - 10+ years of software development and design, enterprise architecture,
   or systems administration or level 3-4 technical support experience
   - At least 2 years in a senior position ( senior/lead developer,
   engineer, or DBA)
   - Minimum 3 years implementation and troubleshooting experience in
   Linux, Java, Kubernetes, and/or Hadoop
   - 5+ years of hands-on experience working with a combination of SQL and
   NoSQL database technologies (e.g. Oracle, MySQL/MariaDB, Postgres, MongoDB,
   Cassandra, Neo4j/JanusGraph)
   - Experience working with a geographically dispersed virtual team
   - Strong Linux background
   - Strong SQL and NoSQL background
   - Some programming experience
   - Understanding of networks and networking protocols
   - Experience with virtualization and containerization at scale
   - Experience working in production environments, especially
   enterprise/carrier environments
   - Understanding of DevOps and automation concepts
   - Strong troubleshooting and problem solving abilities
   - Fast and creative thinker, quick on their feet to respond quickly to
   complex and difficult problems
   - Proven track record of acquiring strong proficiency in new
   technologies quickly
   - Effective communication skills and strong customer service orientation
   - Experience speaking at conferences/comfortable speaking in front of
   large crowds

*Nice-to-have:*

   - Preference given to candidates with implementation and troubleshooting
   experience on other broadly adopted open-source technologies and CNCF
   technologies (e.g. Kafka, Spark, Nifi, Flink, Elasticsearch, Solr, Vault,
   Keycloak, ActiveMQ/RabbitMQ/Artemis, Redis, Tomcat/Wildfly,
   CentOS/Rocky/SLES, Docker/Podman, etc.)
   - Preference given to candidates with experience in DevOps automation
   tools like Jenkins, Ansible, Terraform, Nexus/Artifactory, GitLab/GitHub
   - Database administration experience very desirable

If you are passionate about the technology that impacts our day-to-day
lives and want to collaborate with people as talented and dedicated as
yourself, apply today!

*www.perforce.com* <http://www.perforce.com/>

*Perforce is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and
celebrate its strengths.*

*#LI-SM1*
*#LI-Remote*

https://www.thegravityapp.com/shared/job?clientId=8a7883c6611cbac301611eab8b34377a&id=8a78879e86e83775018705a1d1b84de2&u=1679499513&v=9&token=eyJ1aWQiOjE1MDk4LCJwcm92aWRlciI6ImJvdW5jZSIsInR5cGUiOiJlbWFpbCJ9.pW-ofRd0ll2f0_6pPfsTwzP2SsU