[TriLUG] ZFS Mirroring Fix

Joseph Mack NA3T via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Sep 14 17:25:09 EDT 2023

On Thu, 14 Sep 2023, Jos Purvis wrote:

> Well, foo. I was initially hopeful, but `zpool list` shows that pool as
> 10.9T, which is 2x the available drive capacity (6TiB disk -> 5.46TiB
> usable -> 2x = 10.92TiB).

> Hm. I was just thinking of using the 8TB (which is larger than either of
> the two pools I'm wrestling with) as a temporary holding platform — move
> the data onto it, destroy the ZFS pool, rebuild the ZFS pool as a proper
> mirror, then move the data back.

it's simple at least.

> The advantage to the method you're describing is that the new 'spare'
> actually has a copy of the existing data on it; the disadvantage is that
> I've got to buy two disks (one for each pool being rescued).

I was thinking that the disks were all the same size. You would be mixing
6T and 8T disks.

> Worth a shot (and a look at the budget...). Thanks!

when I fill a disk, I go up 2x in size. I just went to a pair of 20TB
disks and at the same time retired a bunch of 2T and 4T pairs. If you want
the files you have to pay to store them.

Joe

Don't upgrade a working machine - it won't work any
better - it could work worse; it may not work at all.