[TriLUG] Residential IPv4 address stability, etc. (AT&T vs. Google Fiber)

James Toebes via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Sep 14 20:03:24 EDT 2023

Don't worry about the IP address changing.   I have been using No-ip.com
for dyndns for about 10 years without issue.   You run a client on the
server that will automatically update when it changes.  I was using
their free option at first, then updated to the paid option so I could
use a custom domain.  There are several other options for dynamic dns as
well.   Many modern routers support a dynamic dns natively so that you
do not need a separate client.

If you don't want to use a dyndns service,  you can write a script run
on cron on the server.   Have it check for ip change between runs.  when
it does, send you an email with the new address.