[TriLUG] Wanted to share my experience with TMobile 5G Home Internet

brian mullan via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Tue Sep 26 12:37:08 EDT 2023

Hi Dave
I'll try to answer your questions but I am not all that familiar with the
Verizon 5G Home  Internet

*#1*
Regarding Distance from a TMobile 5G tower.
My house is perhaps 3-4 miles away from the nearest TMO 5G Tower shown on
their coverage map.
You can look up TMobile's 5G Coverage Map: *
https://www.t-mobile.com/coverage/coverage-map
<https://www.t-mobile.com/coverage/coverage-map>*
Just enter  your Zip code and the map will show all TMobile Towers nearby
(5G Ultra, 5G extended range & 4G)

Both TMO and Verizon just announced last week that Nationwide they both are
going to be adding a lot more 5G coverage.

*#2 *
TMO and I assume Verizon publish what Bands they are using.

However, I* think TMobile is the first and only 5G that is already rolling
out Carrier Aggregation via Channel Bonding. *

*TMO's 5G combines up to 4 Different Carriers*.
<https://www.fiercewireless.com/5g/t-mobile-deploys-4-carrier-aggregation-live-network>

*The four 5G spectrum channels are: *

   - *two channels of 2.5 GHz, *
   - *one channel of 1900 MHz *
   - *and one channel of 600 MHz. *

*This creates an effective 225 MHz 5G channel with peak theoretical speeds
of up to 3.3 Gbps.*

*#3*
Well, both the Verizon and TMO 5G Home Internet "Gateways" also are (or can
be) your Home's WiFi 6 Router.

So the WiFI 6 router's local connection to devices is configured with a
static IP (which you can change).
But the Public side IP I'm not sure about as I've never looked.

In TMO's 5G Home Internet there is a really easy to use Android or iPhone
App which you download/intsall
from their respective "stores".

The apps let you manage or monitor your 5G Home Internet Gateway
performance, connection quality and
change various Config parameters.

For TMO's 5G Home Internet Gateway *there is also a 3rd party App
<https://tmo.report/2023/05/new-app-gives-easy-access-to-t-mobile-home-internet-gateway-stats/>**
which lets you turn ON/OFF the *
<https://tmo.report/2023/05/new-app-gives-easy-access-to-t-mobile-home-internet-gateway-stats/>
*Gateway's WiFi 6 router if you'd rather just connect an existing WiFi
router to the Gateway instead.  Also*
<https://tmo.report/2023/05/new-app-gives-easy-access-to-t-mobile-home-internet-gateway-stats/>
* alot more config settings the TMO App does not let you see/change.*
<https://tmo.report/2023/05/new-app-gives-easy-access-to-t-mobile-home-internet-gateway-stats/>

*#4*
Actually that was another reason why I switched to the 5G Home Internet
service.   Why?

Unlike my old Cable Internet *when the Power goes out its usually highly
unlikely the Mobile Communications*
*system goes out!   ** Mobile systems because they are also critical
communications systems are engineered to be*

*much more resilient.*

*Think about your own Cell Phone service.. when was the last time you
experienced an Outage?*

So my solution was simple for the 5G Home Gateway.
I* bought an inexpensive ($45) Ryobi Portable Power unit
<https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C8MHVD6H?ref_=cm_sw_r_apan_dp_RHZ4BMSWNP1X2AE9S7WW>*which
also has USB A, USB C charging ports and 2 A/C plugs.

I bought a Ryobi *only because all my power tools use Ryobi Batteries* so I
did not have to buy any new batteries.

But there are dozens of other brands/models to choose from.

So If power goes out in the future I only have to unplug the TMobile 5G
Home Gateway
from my Home's AC and plug it into one of that Ryobi's A/C sockets.

Then, Plug my Laptopinto the other Ryobi A/C Plug to keep it charged during
any extended outage.

I can keep my Mobile Phones charged using the USB A or USB C ports on that
Ryobi.

Once the 5G Gateway boots up I can connect my laptop to it via Wifi and
have all the Internet, TV, etc
I want during the outage.

Anyway that's what I did.   Cheap but effective enough for me.

I've learned alot about 5G Home Internet since I started down this path.

Hope all the above helps.

Lastly, I should have said a bit more about what else I've learned about
Verizon's 5G Home Internet.
I*'ve seen Verizon reports of Verizon users that get 1Gbps Down Link.*
Don't know how common that
is but for some people the extra $25-$30/Mo for Verizon's service might be
worth it.

For me... the TMO ~400Mbps speed is more than enough.

Brian