[TriLUG] Hi Aaron: was: How reliable is inotifywait?

Steve Litt via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Tue Mar 12 10:04:16 EDT 2024

Aaron Morrison via TriLUG said on Mon, 11 Mar 2024 19:05:21 -0400

>If I know Steve, he won’t bother or need to see that article. ;-)
>But yes, systemd can do what he wants — he just doesn’t use systemd.
>
>(Hi Steve!)

Hi Aaron!

How well I remember the day, at a LEAP Installfest over 20 years ago,
where you taught me about the new init system called Upstart. I didn't
really like it or understand it, but Upstart was what my distro used, so
I used it, and kinda sorta maybe got to like it.

These days I init with runit, which together with its close cousin s6,
is, in my opinion, miles ahead of its competition. Runit is the
simplest init system I know of (well, I haven't used busybox init, so
maybe second simplest), and it's such a pleasure to use. I have no
problem with sysvinit's PID1, but pigs would fly and hell would freeze
over before I'd ever use sysvinit's process manager again.

Anyway, thanks so much for all you taught me back when I was a newbie.

SteveT

Steve Litt

http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21