[Dev] Anybody Listening?

Tom Bryan dev@trilug.org
Wed, 7 Aug 2002 21:50:18 +0500

On Wednesday 07 August 2002 07:57 pm, Justin Johnson wrote:

> Design Patterns in Java. As a side note, I am mostly learning Java as
> a vehicle for forcing myself to start developing in a more OOP way.
> If there is another language that some of you may consider better for
> learning OOP, I'm all ears.

I picked up a lot of OOP skills after reading most of "Thinking in Java"
and then learning Python.  You're right in that Java makes it difficult
not to write in a more OO manner, but I have seen flat scripts written
in Java.  (The anagram example from "Just Java2" comes to mind.)

If you want something compiled, marketable, and OO, Java is a great
choice.

If you want something quick, easy, and OO, Python and/or Ruby would be a
good choice.

Enjoy,
---Tom